Fiona Choi, MSc
Graduate Program in Neuroscience
Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine
University of British Columbia
2255 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC, V6T 2A1
General Experimental Psychology
California State University, San Bernardino
San Bernardino, California, USA
My research interests are primarily in the investigation of the neurobiological mechanisms involved in the course of drug addiction, from drug-seeking behavior, to maintenance of drug-taking, to craving and relapse. Through the use of animal models, repeated and intermittent exposure to psychostimulant drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamine, has been shown to lead to a progressive increase in locomotor activity, and this sensitized response is significantly enhanced following a period of drug abstinence. Moreover, males and females have been shown to differ in their induction and expression of behavioral sensitization, but the particular neural circuitry and molecular mechanisms underlying these differences are not completely clear. I am applying behavioral and molecular methods to investigate the role of sex differences and hormonal influences on the course of drug addiction and the involvement of interacting neurological mechanisms.
- Shih, A.Y., Fernandes, H.B., Choi, F.Y., Kozoriz, M.G., Liu, Y., Li, P., Cowan, C.M., Klegeris, A. (2006). Policing the police: astrocytes modulate microglial activation. Journal of Neuroscience, 26(15), 3887-3888. ...abstract on PubMed.
- Crawford, C.A., Williams, M.T., Kohutek, J.L., Choi, F.Y., Yoshida, S.T., McDougall, S.A., & Vorhees, C.V., (2006). Neonatal 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) exposure alters neuronal protein kinase A activity, serotonin and dopamine content, and [35S]GTPgammaS binding in adult rats. Brain Research, 1077(1), 178-186. ...abstract on PubMed.
- Crawford, C.A., Choi, F.Y., Kohutek, J.L., Yoshida, S.T., & McDougall, S.A. (2004). Changes in PKA activity and Gs alpha and Golf alpha levels after amphetamine- and cocaine-induced behavioral sensitization . Synapse, 51(4), 241-248. ...abstract on PubMed.
Abstracts and Presentations
- * Choi, F.Y. (2006). Long-term effects of GluR23Y on induction of behavioral sensitization. Slide Presentation: Brain Repair Program Retreat, NeuroScience Canada - Victoria, BC.
- * Choi, F.Y., Brebner, K., Wang, Y.T., & Phillips, A.G.(2006). Induction and maintenance of D-amphetamine-induced behavioral sensitization is mediated by regulated AMPA receptor endocytosis. Poster presentation at the 25th CINP (Collegium Internationale Neuro-Psychopharmocologicum) Congress Meeting - Chicago, IL.
- Howland, J.G., Choi, F.Y., Phillips, A.G. (2005). Early Postnatal Administration of the Putative NR2B Antagonist Ro25-6981 in Rats Results in Acute and Delayed Behavioral Effects. Poster presentation at the 35th annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience – Washington, DC.
- Howland, J.G., Choi, F.Y., & Phillips, A.G. (2005). Behavioral Effects of Early Postnatal Blockade of NR2B-containing NMDA Receptors in Rats. Poster presentation at the Pacific Northwest Conference – Vancouver, BC.
- Choi, F.Y., Parsons, B.J., & Crawford, C.A. (2004). Ontogeny of Amphetamine-induced Behavioral Sensitization: Role of Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors. Poster presentation at the 34th annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience – San Diego, CA.
- Crawford, C.A., Kokutek, J.L., Choi, F.Y., Yoshida, S.T., Williams, M.T., McDougall, S.A., & Vorhees, C.V. (2003). Long-term Effects of Preweanling MDMA Exposure on the Dopamine and Serotonin Systems in the Adult Rat. Poster presentation at the 33rd annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience – New Orleans, LA.
- Choi, F.Y., Chien, Y.C., & Ellins, S.R. (2003). Students’ Evaluations and Grade Distributions. Poster presentation at the 83rd annual meeting of the Western Psychological Association – Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Chien, Y.C., Reimer, J.F, Choi, F.Y., & Wang, C.P. (2003). The Effect of Language-Specific Features on Word Categorization. Poster presentation at the 83rd annual meeting of the Western Psychological Association – Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Choi, F.Y., Yoshida, S.T., Kohutek, J.L. McDougall, S.A., & Crawford, C.A. (2002). Alterations in Dorsal Striatal and Accumbal Protein Kinase A Activity After Repeated Amphetamine or Cocaine Treatment. Poster presentation at the 32nd annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience – Orlando, FL.
- Choi, F.Y., Chien, Y.C., & Ellins, S.R. (2002). The Relationship Between Students’ Evaluations and Grade Distributions. Poster presented at the 82nd annual meeting of the Western Psychological Association – Irvine, CA.
- Krall, C.A., Brinkley, W.A., Yoshida, S.T., Choi, F.Y., & Crawford, C.A. (2001). Long-Term Effects of Early Amphetamine Treatment on Tyrosine Hydroxylase and Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein Immunoreactivity. Poster presented at the 31st annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience – San Diego, CA.
Other Pursuits and Interests
Beyond my time spent as a researcher in the lab, I also like to think of myself as a musician. At the moment I am exploring the world of jazz piano and have been trying to pickup the alto sax.
*indicates IMPART-related work
« Back to Trainees Overview